Table of Contents
If you’re struggling to fit wellness practices into your daily schedule, then continue to read this post to find out the best, easiest and most effective wellness practices that you can easily fit into your busy schedule.
1. Create Mindful Moments
Being mindful means this particular use of attention and awareness on purpose to experience the authenticity of the present moment without judging it. It’s a personal journey to self-discovery or simply put, a way to redirect your focus to the present moment without judging it. Because believe it or not, but the present moment is the only one that exists.
Creating mindful moments during your spare time is an amazing way to destress, relax and connect with your inner self. And the best thing about it: being in the here and now as being fully present is easier than you think. You don’t need special tools or extended knowledge to truly achieve mindfulness. You also don’t need to sit in the full lotus position and meditate for hours to increase life’s meaning.
There are a million ways to be fully present and taking a coffee break is one of them! So don’t overcomplicate it, just take a coffee (or tea) during your work break and really taste that coffee with your five senses. Let yourself experience all that this cup of coffee has to offer. Be truly present. Be mindful. Create a sensory experience that you will never forget. „Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
Mindfulness Meditation Apps
- Headspace Meditations, Mindfulness & Sleep (Android / iOS)
- Calm Meditation and Sleep Stories (Android / iOS)
- Aura: Sleep & Mindfulness (Android / iOS)
- 10% Happier: Meditation & Sleep (Android / iOS)
- The Mindfulness App: relax, calm, focus and sleep
(Android / iOS)
- Insight Timer – Meditation for Sleep & Anxiety (Android / iOS)
- Smiling Mind Meditation for all ages (iOS / Android)
2. Cultivate Il Dolce Far Niente
Cultivating “Il dolce far niente” means relaxing on purpose, embracing the small pleasure life gives you, enjoying yourself and savouring the present moment. It’s this moment of stillness when you can focus on your current experience without the need to make it perfectly perfect.
The sweetness of doing nothing, because this is how the Italian concept “il dolce far niente” is usually translated in English, is about switching off from work or other responsibilities and just being in the moment. It’s about engaging in these small things in life such as eating a delicious meal, drinking a creamy cappuccino, taking a sunbath or simply connecting with nature.
Yeah, I know what you think. You wish it could be that simple… But in fact, it is pretty simple. All you have to is to take these couple of minutes every single day, choose the activity that you genuinely love. Focus on the experience. Use your 5 senses and let yourself truly enjoy this moment of stillness.
Life is meant to be lived, enjoyed and celebrated. Embrace the imperfection of the moment and enjoy small pleasures that give your life purpose and fulfilment. Embrace the art of doing “nothing”.
3. Healthy Indulgence
Treating yourself with a healthy dessert is a form of self-care. Let’s not pretend otherwise. Besides, is there a better way to spend your work break than by indulging in chocolate? OK, not everyone likes chocolate but pretty much everyone I know has a sweet tooth and cannot go a day without sweet treats.
But here’s a deal: not every sweet treat is created equal. Some of them are pretty unhealthy, highly processed and extremely sweet that will leave you feeling tired, bloated or even sick. To avoid that, you should always opt for healthy snacks that will light up your mood. And the easier way to be always prepared for sugar cravings is to stock up on fruits, keto desserts, homemade healthy treats that pack a nutritional punch.
4. Practice Intermittent Silence
Sometimes all you need to rest, relax and refresh your mental energy is a moment of silence. Even just 5 short minutes of stillness can transform chaos into happiness and peace of mind. So when you feel stressed, overwhelmed and anxious take a break to intentionally sit in silence. Cut out the noise, unplug and disconnect from external distractions. In other words, practice intermittent silence! Not only does it give you the chance to unplug for a few minutes, but it also temporarily relieves us of the obligation of having to interact with other people in person, over the phone, or electronically. Give yourself a moment of silence that you deserve!
Best Posts On Self-Care
- How To Make An Epic Self-Care Kit For Strong Mental Health + Freebies!
- How To Create A Simple Self-Care Routine That Will Make You Thrive + Free Printables & Checklists!
- Natural and Non-Toxic Personal Care Products To Indulge Yourself With For The Ultimate Self-Care Ritual.
- 7 Steps to Detox Your Mental Wellbeing. – Cleanse Your Mind for a More Positive Life
- Everything Starts In Your Head – 12 Healthy Rules For a Strong Mental Health.
5. Reward Yourself For Your Accomplishments
When was the last time you rewarded yourself for a job well done? Do you really acknowledge your accomplishments? If your answer is no, it’s time to change that!
Oftentimes we expect others to recognize our achievements with positive feedback and when they don’t do that, we feel bad about ourselves. While receiving positive feedback is always beneficial because it increases our confidence, activates our happy hormones and motivates us to continue doing a good job, you won’t be always valued and recognized for a job well done.
Some bosses people don’t give constructive feedback. And it does not mean that we didn’t do a great job, it means that they don’t give positive encouragement. And that’s ok. You know when you’ve achieved your goals. You can recognize and value your own big wins and small victories by yourself. When you did a great job, you should give yourself a pat on the back, hug yourself, write down your success or dance like nobody’s watching. Celebrate your achievements and reward yourself for what you’ve accomplished!
6. Focus On Self-Improvement
Wish you had more time to soak up inspiration and knowledge regularly? What about those “unproductive” moments you waste spend waiting in line, commuting or doing errands? Have you ever thought that you could easily turn these boring moments into productive and inspiring ones? Because that’s what you can or even should do!
A waiting line, commuting or doing errands don’t have to be a waste of time. There’s actually plenty of things you can do to make those moments fun, interesting and extremely motivating. For instance, you can listen to a podcast, audiobook, positive affirmations or your Spotify playlist! Or you can watch an inspiring TED talk or a YouTube video. You can even start learning a new language! It all depends on your imagination and creativity!
Grab Your Free Self-Care Workbook
7. Start Your Self-Discovery Journey
We live in a hectic, noisy and extremely chaotic world where people rush around doing multiple things at once, everything is urgent, tight deadlines need to be met without complaining and hustling is seen as a good thing. No wonder burnout is rising in the modern workplace.
We are too busy doing things that we forgot that we are human beings, not human doings. As a result when we asked about personal values, passions and life purpose most of us have no idea how to respond. If that’s your case, you should consider slowing down a bit and focus on self-reflection and self-discovery. Because the truth is, you cannot live a happy, fulfilling and meaningful life if you don’t know WHO your true self is.
Without knowing your true self you will not be able to act in alignment with your true life purpose. This is why you should embark on your journey of self-discovery and to help you with that here are some fun, interesting and unexpected ways to explore yourself during your spare time.
Take Personality Tests
The 16 personality types were created by Isabel Myers and Katharine Briggs to discover your strengths, hidden talents and unlock your full potential. No registration required! You will find this test HERE
8. Improve Your Financial Literacy
Financial education is the best investment you can make because your whole future depends on it. And remember that you don’t need to be an accounting nerd to be on top of your finances. All you need to do is to find the right people and surround yourself with great financial information that will help you to make the right financial decisions starting form today. So instead of leaving your financial performance to fate, take a proactive approach and get educated.
Take advantage of the Informational Era we live in and start increasing your financial literacy without leaving your home the easy way, via the Internet. Read, listen, watch high-quality content on personal finances and start applying what you’ve learnt to not only improve your financial wellbeing but also to avoid financial problems that you had in the past.
Whether you want to get out of debt, build up savings, improve your credit score, start investing with little money or financially secure your child’s future you will find excellent pieces of advice online. Need some guidance? Here are the best (not only in my personal opinion) resources on personal finance you can find:
Get Your Financial Planner
Best Resources On Personal Finance
- Personal Finance Books
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Rich Dad’s CASHFLOW Quadrant: Rich Dad’s Guide to Financial Freedom by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- The Richest Man in Babylon Paperback by George S. Clason
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing by Mel Lindauer
- The intelligent investor by Brando Graham
- Think and Grow Rich: The Landmark Bestseller Now Revised and Updated for the 21st Century by Napoleon Hill
- Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz
- Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money by Vicki Robin
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero
- The Total Money Makeover Workbook by Dave Ramsey
- The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich by Tim Ferriss
- The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America’s Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley
- I Will Teach You to Be Rich, Second Edition: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works by Ramit Sethi
- The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey
- Start Your Own Corporation: Why the Rich Own Their Own Companies and Everyone Else Works for Them by Garrett Sutton
- Youtube Channels
- Bloomberg TV Markets and Finance
- MoneyTalks News
- GoldSilver (w/ Mike Maloney)
- Bigger Pockets
- The Financial Diet
- SeedTime Money
- Financial Times – Banking Weekly
- Morgan Stanley Ideas Podcast
- Bloomberg Masters in Business Podcast
- Bloomberg P&L
- Exchanges at Goldman Sachs
- Financial Times News Briefing
- Financial Modeling Podcast
- Motley Fool Money
- Blogs on Business & Personal Finance
- Financial Samurai
- I Will Teach You to Be Rich
- Business Insider
- Real-Time Economics
- The Consumerist
- Calculated Risk
- The Conscience of a Liberal
- Board games
9. Get Cultured
When was the last time you visited a museum or an art gallery? I know it’s an odd question to ask during the Coronavirus pandemic when all the cultural institutions such as museums, archives, galleries, libraries, theatres and heritage sites are temporarily closed. I get it.
However, I don’t know if you know this, but many cultural institutions and organizations that have been forced to closed due to the COVID-19 outbreak are now offering the opportunity to visit them virtually. Isn’t that great?! In other words, you can take a virtual museum and gallery tour of some of the world’s greatest collections from the comfort of your couch.
Now, with that being said, are you ready to virtually explore the world’s greatest attractions and become more cultured without leaving your house? If your answer is yes, check out the best virtual museum and art gallery tours here, here here or here.
10. Move Your Body
It is scientifically proven that physical activity stimulates the release of dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin and endorphins. These chemicals, also known as “happy hormones” are directly responsible for your mood. That’s why even low impact and relatively short physical activity has the power to drastically improve your mood and boost your energy levels. Whereas if you lead a sedentary lifestyle constantly looking for excuses not to work out or even move your body a little bit you can be sure that the level of your happy hormones will be extremely low. If there is one recipe for unhappiness it is that: sedentary lifestyle. So why risk so much?
Working out is one of the best ways to get rid of all the accumulated negativity that occupies your mind, body, and spirit. Even a simple 15 min workout can help to clear your mind, relieve stress and set a positive mindset for the rest of the day. So instead of making endless excuses for not working out, create your home workout routine that it’s fun, exciting and easy to follow. Increase your daily physical activity and boost your happy hormones naturally!
11. Create Relaxing Home Spa Experience
There are very few things in this world as enjoyable, relaxing and satisfying as a soothing bubble bath. I don’t know about you, but I feel relaxed just thinking about it. People think that they need to spend lots of money in a luxury spa & wellness to have this “feel good” experience. Nothing more mistaken!
You can create a relaxing home spa experience within a couple of minutes. Don’t believe me? Have you seen this episode of “Friends” – “The One Where Chandler Takes A Bath”? It’s one of my favourites! Monica turns Chandler on to the concept of a bath to relax, de-stress and wash negative energy away. And if you remember how their bathroom looks like, you know that’s it’s nothing special. Just a typical small bathroom in an old Manhattan’s West Village neighbourhood.
So, forget about an expensive spa & wellness membership. Instead, gather all your essentials (fragrant soap, essential oils, scented candles,) put some relaxing music and practice the art of taking bath! And if you don’t have a bathtub, take a quick relaxing shower!
Best Wellness Apps In 2021
- SuperBetter (Android / iOS)
- Shine – Motivational texts (Android / iOS)
- Pocket Yoga (Android / iOS)
- Calm Meditation and Sleep Stories (Android; iOS)
- Happify: for Stress & Worry (iOS and Android)
- Happier (iOS)
- Headspace (Android; iOS)
- Breathe2Relax (Android; iOS)
- Anxiety Reliever (Android; iOS)
- Self-help for Anxiety Management (iOS)
- Sanvello (Android; iOS)
- SAM App (Android; iOS)
- What’s Up? – A Mental Health App (iOS and Android)
- Self-help for Anxiety Management (iOS and Android)
- Smiling Mind Meditation for all ages (iOS and Android)
12. Manage Your Life Admin
Last but definitely not least wellness practice I highly recommend you try out during your work-break is so-called „life admin”. If you’re not familiar with his concept, doing a „life admin” basically means scheduling a block of time (an hour or even a day) dedicated to accomplish admin type of tasks that you need to get done but you’ve been avoiding.
This may seem contradictory but organizing your finances doing little errands, responding to emails, making important phone calls or even booking an appointment for a Health Check is a form of self-care. Because the things you know you need to get done but we’ve been avoiding will not disappear magically. The opposite is actually the case: if you’re not completing things off your to-do list they will only accumulate in the back of your head draining your mental energy and focus. And that’s a prescription for a jam-packed schedule and severe headache.
To avoid that you should have a little brainstorming session to identify all these admin types of tasks that you need to get done but you’ve been avoiding. Then create a life admin day to-do list and schedule a day, an hour or even a couple of minutes to get all these boring stuff done. Once you’ve got all these things done, you will be proud of yourself.
Identify The Tasks
- What is something you have been procrastinating about for a while to do?
- What tasks are making you delay completing them?
- What things from your to-do list you’ve been putting off?
- What tasks around your house you’ve been avoiding?
- What errands you need to get done but you’ve never felt like doing?
Life Admin Tasks
- Do little errands
- Respond to emails
- Schedule appointments (that you’ve been avoiding)
- Schedule a health check
- Manage your memberships and subscriptions (and cancel those you don’t need and use anymore)
- Organize your finances & create your monthly budget
- Take a look at your personal banking
- Organise your tax
- Update your Insurance policies
Grab Your Free Printable Workbook
Make 2021 Your Best Year Ever!
- How To Organize Mind For Maximum Productivity & Balance: 9 Powerful Tips HERE
- 11 Awesome Tools & Apps To Plan & Organize Your Life In 2021 + FREE printables! HERE
- 11 Simple Ways To Develop Self-Discipline & Have Fun Along The Way. HERE
- Maximize Your Productivity: 6-Step Method To Get More Things Done In Less Time. HERE
- Perfect Morning Routine to Reduce Stress & Anxiety HERE
- How To Organize Your Life For 2021: 7 Simple Steps HERE
- How To Set Goals For 2021 And Achieve Them HERE
- 8 Steps To Make 2021 Your Best Year Ever. HERE
- Powerful and smart ways to manage your time efficiently and effectively HERE
- 9 Best Financial Goals For 2021 & Powerful Tips To Actually Achieve Them
- 11 Powerful Habits That Will Make 2021 Your Best Year Ever. HERE
Stay positive, be mindful and add your wellness practice to your daily routine for a happy, healthy and fulfilling life!