Thrive, Not Just Survive
Table of Contents
Staying Positive During Difficult Times
Before the Pandemic hit, most of us could hardly find time in the day to rest and relax, not to mention having a life outside work. We were always on the run, desperately trying to manage our busy schedules completely neglecting the most important things in our lives – our health, our family, our friends and our relationship with ourselves. Everything was the top priority except our health and wellbeing. Not to mention spending time alone in the safety of our homes… Well, that was rare.
With the COVID-19 outbreak now a pandemic, everything changed. Time seems much longer and the world appears to be in slow motion. We spend more time at home trying to figure out what’s gonna happen next. But the truth is, all we have is the present moment. And if you read this post it means that you have some time off… maybe you could use this moment to build your self-care plan?
And to help you with that here are my absolute favourite top 10 creative, entertaining and calming self-care practices you can easily incorporate in your daily routine to make this period less stressful and more enjoyable.
That’s why today I want to share with you 10 creative, entertaining and calming self-care practices you can incorporate in your current daily routine to make this period less stressful and more enjoyable.
1. Organize Your Thoughts
The first self-care idea for those who want not only to survive but thrive during the pandemic is to organize their thoughts. I know, it seems quite obvious and I am pretty sure you’ve already heard about this tip probably more than once. But have you really tried to understand your thoughts and reflect on yourself since all this madness started? If not, it’s the perfect time to do that.
Sitting alone with your thoughts and true feelings can be quite challenging but it’s quite necessary if you want to restore your mental clarity, reduce stress and regain control over your mind during these strange times.
A great way to keep your thoughts organized is to write them down in a journal. The simple act of putting it on paper will not only free you but also allow you to let go of negative thoughts and difficult feelings accumulated in your brain over time.
However, if you don’t like journaling, don’t force yourself to do it. There are many other techniques for unburdening your thoughts and freeing your mind of the excesses that are as effective as writing.
To help you make your choice I divided all the thought organization techniques I know and I’ve tried myself into 5 different categories.
- Do a brain dump
- Talk it out
- Make a list of every thought that enters your mind
- Engage in physical activity
- Go on a walk
- Declutter your surroundings
- Write a letter to yourself
- Visualize your thoughts
- Draw a mind map
- Connect with nature
- Try a deep breathing exercise (inhale calmness and exhale anxiousness)
2. Organize Your Space
Your internal world and your external personal space together represent the field of your being. In other words, your personal space is the externalization of your current state of mind and vice versa. That’s the reason why you may feel anxious, stressed and overwhelmed when your surroundings are messy and cluttered. And I am sure that you’ve noticed how good, relaxed and stress-free can make you feel staying in a clean and decluttered environment.
According to science clutter negatively affects our health and wellbeing in many different ways. First of all, clutter can trigger the release of the stress hormone cortisol, which makes it more difficult to relax, both physically and mentally. Second, messy surroundings make you disorganized, disoriented and distracted. Third, clutter steals your money because I’m pretty sure you’ve paid for most of the things you own. And finally, a dirty environment can trigger serious health problems like asthma, allergies and eczema.
So as you can see, clutter is quite dangerous to our health and well-being. If these 4 arguments don’t motivate you to clean your house, maybe that will convince you: you can clear your clutter and sell or donate to charity! It’s exactly what I’ve been doing for years and I can assure you that it’s a wonderful feeling! So maybe it’s time to organize your space, declutter your mind and tidy up for a healthier, happier and more positive life? What do you think?
5 Places You Can Sell Your Clutter
3. Take Yourself On A Date
When was the last time you took yourself on a date? Bet you can’t even remember. It’s funny how most of us would spend a lot of time, money and effort to plan and organize a perfect date night to impress that special someone, whilst we completely forget to nurture our self-relationship. That’s insane! Especially when you realize that the most important person to please is yourself. I’m not saying to neglect the people who are important in your life, obviously not, the ones who truly love you will always be there for you. But the truth is there is only one person you will spend your whole life with, and that is yourself. That’s why you should start treating yourself like someone you love.
Developing a strong, positive and healthy relationship with yourself might take some time, but it’s worth the effort. Why is it so important? Well, because the relationship you create with yourself determines everything in your life. It is not only crucial for your own health and wellbeing but it also sets the tone for every other relationship you have. That is why, if you want to take good care of others you should start taking care of yourself. And what better way to do that if not by creating a new tradition of dating yourself? In other words, it’s time to show yourself a bit more self-love by taking yourself on a fun, captivating, and enjoyable solo date!
Ultimate Positive Mindset Guide 2020
for just $ 15.00!
Looking to experience more happiness and productivity? Check out The Ultimate Guide to More Joy and Less Stress. $15. Find out more here
- Launch Dates: Monday, October 5th at 8 am ET to Friday, October 9th at 11:59 pm ET
- Price: $15.00
- Contents: 15 lessons of short, easy exercises to strengthen your mindset. A 70-page workbook including video training, written exercises and journal prompts.
Here’s What’s Included In This Bundle:
- Lesson 1: Clear Your Mind with a Brain Dump
- Lesson 2: Feel Good by Giving and Receiving Compliments
- Lesson 3: Get More Done with Tiny Time Blocking
- Lesson 4: Destress with an Amazing Cup of Homemade Tea
- Lesson 5: Make Peace with the Here and Now in 2 Steps
- Lesson 6: Get Organized with Small Acts of Decluttering
- Lesson 7: Grow Your Confidence with Positive Visualization
- Lesson 8: Beat Procrastination with “The 10-Minute Method”
- Lesson 9: Experience More Gratitude through Journaling
- Lesson 10: Calm Down Fast with a 16-Second Meditation
- Lesson 11: Eat Your Way to a Happier Mindset (with These 5 Foods)
- Lesson 12: Spot the Silver Linings and Feel More Peace
- Lesson 13: Feel More in Control by Taking 100% Responsibility for Your Happiness
- Lesson 14: Become More Resilient by Shaking Off Bad Days
- Lesson 15: Breathe into Happiness and Optimism with This Morning Routine
If these look like skills you’d like to learn about and practice, I really encourage you to get a copy of The Ultimate Guide to More Joy and Less Stress here
4. Challange Yourself
Challenging yourself and getting uncomfortable may seem a contradiction of self-care but it’s definitely not. Of course, I am not talking here about exposing yourself to risky and potentially dangerous situations because that would be irresponsible. What I mean is that you should challenge yourself to step out of your comfort zone and try new things because your success depends on it.
Pushing your boundaries and making yourself uncomfortable is actually more beneficial than you think. Because if you learn to get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable you will not only eliminate your fear of failure but also you will create a momentum that is the key to your success. Not to mention that you will find the courage to do new and exciting things that you’ve always wanted to do but you were too afraid of even trying.
So think about all these things that you’ve always wanted to do but you were too afraid of even trying, then make your discomfort list, create your plan of action and then finally take action! Venture deep outside your comfort zone, increase your self-confidence and boost your belief you make things happen. Success is in your hands!
5. Increase Mindfulness
What time zone you currently live? Past, present or future? Are you ruminating on the past and constantly worrying about the future? Or maybe you live in the present moment trying to make the most of it?
I bet your standard time is either past or future. Well, you’re not the only one. Most of us live in a psychological time in a state of complete detachment from our present reality. We spend so much energy on analyzing what has happened or what is yet to come that there is not much left over for focusing on what is happening in the here and now.
But the truth is all we have is now. We live in the eternal now. There is no past and no future. All we have is the present moment. We have the power to create our present reality with our thoughts, words and actions yet we focus on past events or hypothetical future situations. This is the most profound waste of life, time, potential and spirit known to people. It’s time to change this pattern and start living in the present moment.
„Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” So stop for a while, take a deep breath and just be present with your life. Seriously show up in your current reality instead of venturing into the past of future because you don’t live there. Your life is here and now. Focus on the present moment and start building foundations for your future self. Use the time to your advantage but be present. Learn from the past and plan for the future but avoid overthinking, overanalyzing and obsessive worrying because it takes away the joys of life. Start living in the present moment and make the most of it!
- Try Guided Mindfulness Meditation
- Use Positive Affirmations to boost your mental power, self-esteem, and self-worth (try “I AM” positive affirmations guided meditation!)
- Practice Gratitude (Start a Gratitude Jar – Every day write down what you are grateful for and add these “Gratitude Notes” to your gratitude jar.)
- Feed your passion and unlock your creative potential
- Connect With Nature – contact with nature is highly beneficial to our physical and mental health, it keeps us healthy, grounded and relaxed. So stop hiding in your home. Instead, get outside and connect with nature. Get some natural vitamin D from sunshine and boost your happy hormones.
- Reboot and mental reset daily
- Practice Niksen
- Beautify your surroundings
- Detox your wellbeing
- Practice Positive Thinking
- Use Positive Affirmations
- Practice Digital Detox
Best Apps For Stress & Anxiety Relief
- SuperBetter (Android / iOS)
- Shine – Motivational texts (Android / iOS)
- Pocket Yoga (Android / iOS)
- Calm Meditation and Sleep Stories (Android; iOS)
- Happify: for Stress & Worry (iOS and Android)
- Happier (iOS)
- Headspace (Android; iOS)
- Breathe2Relax (Android; iOS)
- Anxiety Reliever (Android; iOS)
- Self-help for Anxiety Management (iOS)
- Sanvello (Android; iOS)
- SAM App (Android; iOS)
- What’s Up? – A Mental Health App (iOS and Android)
- Self-help for Anxiety Management (iOS and Android)
- Smiling Mind Meditation for all ages (iOS and Android)
6. Cooking Extravaganza
I am not a cooking expert, far from it. I just love exploring new foods from different countries. So I guess, I fall into the category of „real foodie”. As you can probably imagine this habit of mine costs me a lot of money. Or I should probably say it used to cost me a lot of money until the outbreak of Coronavirus pandemic.
With the restaurants being closed I had a choice either order takeaway or try to recreate authentic recipes from around the world. Considering that earlier this year I made a deliberate decision to save more money, I choose the second option. In other words, I decided to challenge my cooking and baking skills and try to prepare some of the most famous recipes from around the world. I called this project “Lockdown Cooking Extravaganza”. To make it even more exciting I decided to adopt a “meal themes” approach. You cannot imagine how wonderful an experience it was. Not to mention that I could finally eat healthy versions of my absolute favourite fast foods. And by choosing whole foods I chose real satisfaction over artificial happiness. What more could you ask for?
To be honest I haven’t had this much fun with cooking since my cooking classes in elementary school! So I’ve decided to continue my journey of becoming a self-made cooking expert in my kitchen. I’ve even started to grow my own herbs! Because let’s face it fresh herbs taste much better than dried.
The moral of that is you should challenge yourself and start your own cooking project. It’s a fun, creative, exciting and pleasing experience. Not to mention that by cooking for yourself you will not only save a lot of money but also you will also have much more control over the ingredients!
Best Clean Eating & Shopping Apps
- Fooducate – eat better – Nutrition & Diet Tracker iOS / Android
- Shopwell here – your pocket-sized nutritionist and grocery food scanner
- True Food Kitchen – clean eating app here
- Nutrifix – Find Healthy Food here
- Meal IQ – “Intelligent Meal Planning & Shopping” here
- SideChef: Recipes+Meal Planner – healthy eating habits app iOS / Android
7. Have A "Brain Orgasm"
I am sure you heard about ASMR – this incredible experience of tingling sensation inside your head involuntarily induced by a stimulus. This “low-grade euphoria” or brain orgasm – like some people call it, can be experienced on command or spontaneously. So, if you find your ASMR triggers you will be able to put yourself in this incredibly pleasant feeling in the body every single time you feel down, overly stressed or anxious.
Of course, everyone is different and each person has different triggers that’s why you will have to find your ASMR triggers. However, I’ve noticed that most people I know experience ASMR when they listen to a voice that calms them down. So my advice for you is to search for a person with an amazingly soothing voice that will calm your fears, anxiety, or even pain. It can the voice of your favourite singer, podcaster, your friend that could send you a voice message on Whatsapp for example.
Find the voice that calms you helps you to enter a flow state of mind every time you feel upset and disturbed. When you’re anxious, overwhelmed and stressed out just put some good relaxing music, listen to gentle whispering on Spotify or ASMR podcasts and zoned out.
8. Meaningful & Inspiring Content
Wish you had time to read and soak up motivational content? What about those unproductive moments, which easily add up to hours that you could turn into productive ones? I am thinking, in particular, of the time we spend (waste) waiting in queues or commuting? Wouldn’t it be great to make better use of those moments?
Waiting in line used to drive me crazy, mostly because I hate wasting my time. And what can you do waiting in line if not just waiting in line, right?
Well, there’s actually a lot of things you can do to not only reduce queue frustration but also make better use of time. For instance, you can listen to a podcast, audiobook, positive affirmations or your Spotify playlist! Or you can watch an inspiring TED talk or a YouTube video. You can even start learning a new language! All depends on your imagination and creativity! Use your time spent waiting in line doing something interesting.
Of course, waiting in line should not be the only time you soak up motivational content! But it is a start!
9. Maintain Your Financial Wellness
One of the best ways to practice self-care is to financially treat yo’ self. Because whether we like it or not, money affects the most important things in our lives. However, this, of course, does not mean that you need a lot of money to be healthy, happy and fulfilled. But, living paycheck to paycheck and struggling to pay bills creates stress, anxiety and excessive worry which definitely doesn’t make life easier.
With the Coronavirus outbreak now a pandemic we have a lot to worry about. So maybe it’s time to stop stressing over money so it doesn’t hurt your health? Besides worrying is not only counterproductive but also it’s keeping you from living your best life. That’s why instead of obsessively thinking and stressing about economic repercussions of COVID-19 you should focus on developing positive money habits and improving your financial situation. And to help you with that I’ve created an eBook titled “A Simple plan for your financial independence” and financial planner kit that you can purchase here. They are on SALE now! If you want to learn more about these brand new products you will find all the information here
Personal Finance Bundle On Sale!
SUPER FINANCIAL BUNDLE SALE!
PURCHASE 2 Products (ebook + financial planner) for ONLY $19,99!!
120 Pages of FINANCIAL KNOWLEDGE that will help you to achieve your ultimate goal – financial FREEDOM!!
“A Simple Plan for Your Financial Independence” provides essential skills and actionable strategies you can use to improve your financial health and create lasting wealth and abundance.
This eBook is an easy step-by-step guide to go from BROKE to FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT!
Every chapter is a self-improvement challenge that will move your closer to your biggest goal – financial independence.
Financial Planner is a bundle that contains 29 pages of printable writing worksheets that will help you to evaluate your financial health, set SMART financial goals, set effective budget, set an emergency fund, get into the habit of saving more money, become money conscious and develop powerful habits for achieving financial freedom.
Best Posts On Personal Finance
- 10 Money Habits To Develop Financial Freedom And Success.
- How To Become Money Conscious And Start Saving Money From Scratch
- Mindful Money Management
- Become a More Mindful Shopper and Save Money
- The 5-Step Weekly Routine For Living A Successful And Happy Life.
- Embracing Frugal Lifestyle: 7 Things I Stopped Buying And Start Doing To Save More Money.
- Frugal Living: 20 Practical Tips On How To Save Money But Still Have Fun.
Best Posts On Self-Care
- How To Make An Epic Self-Care Kit For Strong Mental Health + Freebies!
- How To Create A Simple Self-Care Routine That Will Make You Thrive + Free Printables & Checklists!
- Natural and Non-Toxic Personal Care Products To Indulge Yourself With For The Ultimate Self-Care Ritual.
- 7 Steps to Detox Your Mental Wellbeing. – Cleanse Your Mind for a More Positive Life
- Everything Starts In Your Head – 12 Healthy Rules For a Strong Mental Health.
- Wellness Weekend Challenge: 10 Ways To Reset, Relax And Reboot.
10. Use Your Support System
Instead of over-analyzing the situation you’re in and creating different worst-case scenarios talk to someone. Free yourself from this internal tension by sharing your experience with others. Of course, I’m not saying that you should approach a stranger and tell them about your mental health struggles because it may not be a good idea to share your private life with some random person.
Instead, use your phone and call or message someone that you know is trustworthy. Talk to your family member, friend or even co-worker and describe how you’re feeling. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. People are around you in your life for a reason.
Talking to someone about your struggles is a great opportunity to release stress and tension from your body, refresh your thinking, gain a new point of view and in consequence look at your situation from a completely different perspective.
Best Posts About Health:
- Immunity-Boosting Shopping List On A Budget – Make Your Immune System Bulletproof And Build Your Resistance To Viruses Now! HERE
- 10 Simple Ways To Boost Your Immune System During The days Of Coronavirus. HERE
- Effective Self-Help – Discover The Best Self-Help Resources To Improve Your Mental Wellbeing HERE
- The 20 Most Unexpected Benefits of Anxiety HERE
- Anxiety Self-Kit – Create Your Own Self-Calming Strategy. HERE
- Smart and Powerful Ways to Deal with a Panic Attack in a Public Place. HERE
- 7 Steps To Detox Your Mental Health HERE
- Finding Peace In An Anxious World: 8 Ways To Deal With Anxiety During Tough Times HERE
- 12 Daily Habits For A Healthy, Positive And Balanced Life HERE
Stay Safe And Take Care Of Yourself