Setting 2020 Goals
and actually stick to them!
There’s no time to waste, so let’s get started!
Let’s plan, visualize your short-term future and evolve in your future self!
10 Simple Steps To Become Your Future Self
Table of Contents
1. New Year's Resolutions - how to make them work
10 Reasons Why New Year’s Resolutions May Fail:
- Fear Of Failure & Giving Up
- Lack Of Confidence – Article on how to boost confidence HERE
- Becoming Overwhelmed by Unrealistic Goals
- Unrealistic Expectations & Abstract Goals (article on how to set SMART goals and achieve them HERE)
- Lack Of Clarity in Setting Your Annual Goals
- Lack Of Motivation (article on the science of motivation HERE)
- Lack Of Inspiration
- Distractions & Time Wasters (article on distractions HERE)
- Perfectionism That Kills Creativity and Productivity
10 Keys To Success In Making New Year’s Resolutions Stick
- Constant Review
2. Make Your 2019 Annual Review
- What went well this year?
- What didn’t go so well this year?
- What did I learn about myself?
- What I am the most grateful for?
- What were the most memorable moments of 2019?
- How did I improve myself?
- What did I make progress on?
- What was the biggest mistake I made?
- What were the most important life-changing lessons I’ve learned?
- What was my biggest challenge?
- What held me back this year?
- What did I change, fix or improve to make my life better?
- What was my biggest regret?
- What was my greatest accomplishment?
- What was time very well spend?
- What was time wasted?
- How did I improve the lives of others?
- Who supported me the most this year?
- What was my happiest memory?
- What felt successful about this year?
Create A Clear Vision Of Your Short-term Future
3. Self-Reflection Questions For Success And Happiness In 2020
💠 What my future self looks like?
💠 What would my future self say to me?
💠 What values do I want to embody?
💠 How do I want to feel?
💠 How do I want to present myself to the world?
💠 How do I want to live my life experience?
💠 What do I wish to contribute?
Visualize Your Future Self
4. Make A Vision Board That Actually Works
Vision board or dream board as some people like to call it is a powerful tool you can use to visualize your future self, narrow down your desires and maintain your focus on specific goals. It’s your piece of art, your inspiration, and the manifestation of your dream future!
Make A Vision Board That Works:
- Define your purpose
- Discern your intentions
- Dream big but keep it realistic – set challenging BUT achievable goals!
- Set specific SMART goals for personal growth (self-improvement goals are the key to unlocking your full potential by giving you a real possibility to evolve in a better version of yourself and align your life with your core values)
- Be selective on what you want to put on your vision board (it should create focus, not chaos and disorientation)
- Find capturing images and inspirational quotes that you will add to your vision board to make your motivation flow effortlessly every single time you look at your vision board (do your research using the internet, find images and words that perfectly illustrate your short-term future, print them out and stick them onto your vision board)
- Start creating your highly-personalized vision board that will create excitement and enthusiasm every single time you will see it
- Place your vision board somewhere that you can see it (my vision board is above your desk)
- Set the right mindset (Be your own cheerleader)
Plan Your Vision Board According To 8 Dimensions Of Wellness
Emotional (Mental Health & Wellbeing)
Physical (Physical Health & Wellbeing)
Social (Sense of connection & Belonging)
Spiritual (Spirit and/or Faith)
Environmental (Social Impact)
Practice Being Your Future Self
5. Define Your Goals
Goal without a plan is just a wish
My strategy is to set meaningful, measurable, achievable and hard to misinterpret goals for 2020. While my goals are specific and well-defined I try to stay mindful, flexible, open-minded and review frequently. Why? Well, because no matter how specific, relevant and time-bound your goals are there is always a certain amount of unpredictability and uncertainty of life that surprises you with various unexpected opportunities. Some of them will be your lucky chance arising from some particularly favorable circumstances created by the universe. Others will encounter unforeseen issues that will make you change or adjust your 2020 life blueprint in the middle of your projects. So be prepared for some modification and alteration of your 2020 goals because you may need to amend your life plan. And don’t get discouraged when things are not turning out the way you expect. If it happens, stay focused, think positive and make the best of it! And remember that the best things in life come when you’re not looking for them. So instead of staying ridiculously focused only on your goals focus on the journey which leads to certain outcomes. Take advantage of unexpected opportunities when they present themselves and create the life you want to live.
💠 Start with the big picture and visualize where do you want to be in 1 year
💠 Create a clear vision for the new year, and decide how do you want to improve yourself in 2020
💠 Set Your SMART Annual Goals
💠 Brake your big goals into small achievable steps (quarterly and monthly goals)
💠 Set 3-5 quarterly goals (for every quarter of the year) and create an effective action plan to achieve them (you will be surprised how much you can achieve in 90 days!)
💠 Set 3-5 monthly goals (for every month of the year) and create an effective action plan to achieve them (you will be surprised how much you can achieve in 30 days!)
💠 Plan out how do you want to improve in both your professional and personal life in every quarter of the year and start working on yourself.
💠 Organize your life around your goals by creating an effective action plan
💠 Adopt the right mindset aka mindset of a highly successful person
💠 Take intentional action towards your goals
💠 Track your progress to increase your self-awareness
💠 Celebrate your big achievements and small victories to increase your self-confidence
Dream Big, Start Small But Act Now
6. Set Your Intentions
Intention is a path to success
We tend to put all our energy and focus into a setting and achieving our goals while we completely forget about setting our intentions. Which is kinda weird considering the fact that goals and intentions are two sides of the same coin. You cannot have one without the other. This is because a goal is a destination, an external achievement while an intention is a journey toward a goal determined by your inner world. Furthermore, an intention is a reflection of your inner world, your inner energy that leads to personal fulfillment and prospering life. In other words, an intention is the quality of consciousness, energy, motivation, and determination that creates external consequences for your thoughts, beliefs, and expectations. An intention is a motive behind your goal. For instance, your goal may be to earn more money but the reason for this may be to impress your friends or you want to support your spouse who has some financial problems. So, an intention is your consciousness “why”. It is the real reason why you want to achieve something. Is the quality of consciousness and motivation which is going to determine the effect that occurs.
That’s why if you want to set a meaningful and powerful intention you need to connect with your inner-self. Listen to your gut, trust your intuition, do the things that give you passion and fills you with a sense of purpose and make your deepest dreams come true.
Turn Your Dreams Into Reality
7. Take An Action
Action creates habits and habits creates consistency
While a positive mental attitude is a crucial ingredient that you need to add to your life blueprint you need to add a specific action to make it happen. Both mentality and action are two sides of the same coin: “the life of the coin of your dreams.” Yeap, this one. So there is no way your goals will magically appear without you moving in the right direction. You just have to do the things you want to do. In other words, you have to start living the life you want to live in. Try to do anything, small or big that will get you one step closer to my goal. The more action you take the more you will be living the life you want to live.
Here’s how you can easily do it. Think about your goal and about specific actions you have to take to achieve this goal. Then, break down your large, clear and well-defined goal into small, actionable chunks, specific action steps that will lead you to your main goal. Write everything down and notice how ticking off the things you did makes you happy, satisfied and proud of yourself and your accomplishments.
So, as you can see it’s easier than you think. It’s all about researching, planning, scheduling, organizing, taking an action and achieving your goals. For instance, if you want to buy a house but you don’t even have a job well you need to find a job first. Then save some money, get a financial advisor and get a house… Do something, take intentional action because it’s the action that creates motivation not the other way around. And never forget that your life depends on you. ONLY on you.
8. Build Consistency
Consistency is what gives you results
Consistency creates a healthy routine, forms good habits, and builds momentum and these three ingredients are fundamental in achieving your goals. That’s why when you’re not consistent in your action most probably you won’t see results anytime soon. In contrast lack of consistency causes lack of interest, lack of motivation, boredom, confusion, and frustration because instead of moving towards your goals you’re only wasting your time and energy. Here are simple ways to achieve consistency in reaching your goals:
- Create a daily routine that works for you
- Develop productive habits
- Train your brain to be organized (challenge yourself, sustain your focus and take brakes when you need it)
- Plan for success – “Think Big, Start Small, Move Fast”
- Identify your weaknesses and challenge them
- Don’t let your self-doubt to consume you – challenge your negative self-talk
- Celebrate your achievements – even small success is a success
- Remember that more consistency leads to more achievements
9. Master Self-Discipline
What you really need to achieve your goals is self-discipline, not motivation. While motivation is important it does not guarantee success because it’s not consistent. Of course, you can easily increase your motivation but still, it will be only a temporary boost rather than a permanent state.
In contrast, self-discipline is nothing more than a habit of consistency. So if you are trying to plot your path to success you should focus primarily on building self-discipline. Certainly, building unbreakable self-discipline requires time, effort and patience but it definitely worth it. Self-discipline means control of your action, commitment to your goals, avoiding distractions, increasing your focus and boosting your productivity. Furthermore, it helps you to stick to your decisions and pushes you forward despite countless obstacles, difficulties, and failures.
Simple Ways To Master The Art Of Self-Discipline
- Increase your Accountability
- Create a priority list
- Align your goals with your purpose
- Manage your time mindfully
- Set specific goals with a hard timeline
- Develop a specific action plan toward your goals
- Value Your Worth
- Keep the inspiration going
- Track your progress and ask for feedback
- Celebrate Your Achievements
Be Proud of Your Accomplishments
10. Celebrate Your Success
Most of my friends when asked about celebrating their accomplishments admit that they rarely, if ever do it. They set a goal, put all their effort to achieve it and once they achieve it they immediately move forward to another goal completely forgetting about celebrating their success. That’s insane!
People should always celebrate their achievements, even small victories count and should be acknowledged. It’s the best part of the whole process of the self-development process and a great opportunity to appreciate oneself. Without it what’s the point of working so hard for success? Besides, the efforts of tracking even small achievements every single day enhance your motivation, boost your self-esteem and drastically increase your life satisfaction. In other words, celebrating your accomplishments is crucial for your long-term success and happiness.
So next time when you accomplish a goal, stop for a moment, acknowledge your success and celebrate it! Be proud of your big achievements and small victories. Be proud of yourself and appreciate yourself more. And if you need some inspiration, here are my favorite ways to celebrate achievements:
- Start a Success Journal
- Share the news with family and friends
- Write a list of everything you learned from this experience
- Reflect on the path you took
- Treat yourself with your favorite dessert
- Watch a favorite movie or a TV show
- Buy yourself a little gift
- Go on a solo date
- Invite your friends for dinner
- Practice Mindfulness
- Practice positive self-talk standing in the front of a mirror
- Indulge in relaxation
Best Posts About Achieving Goals:
- 6 Self-Improvement Habits To Adopt Before 2020 HERE
- Get into the Habit of Being Seriously Organized Before 2020. HERE
- 8 Simple Steps to Set Yourself Up for a Successful 2020 HERE
- Powerful and smart ways to manage your time efficiently and effectively HERE
- 5 steps to success in achieving your goals HERE
- The ultimate way to overcome procrastination and become a highly productive person HERE
- 10 powerful life-changing healthy morning rituals HERE
- 6 Simple Ways To Live A Healthier Lifestyle HERE
- Put Yourself In A Positive Headspace HERE
- The science of motivation HERE
- 10 simple ways to bring mindfulness into your daily life HERE
- 10 powerful habits to boost your confidence HERE
Download Your Free Printable Self-care Workbook by clicking on the photo below!
and Set Your New Year’s Resolutions That Stick!