Table of Contents
Being Independent Means...
Being independent means having control over your life, taking responsibility for your own decisions, making yourself feel safe in times of crisis, achieving your full potential, making your dreams come true, being self-sufficient and resourceful.
Being independent means knowing who you truly, aligning your values with your actions and living in the direction of your life purpose.
Being independent means living in harmony with nature without giving up all the benefits of civilization.
Being independent means being able to use the opportunities offered by the whole universe, life and system that we live in.
Being independent means trusting yourself, controlling your mindset, knowing your strengths and building „up your weaknesses until they become your strong points”.
Being independent means consciously building your self-confidence, inner strength and resilience.
Being independent means knowing that you already have the courage and ability you need to get through tough times.
Being independent means knowing that you will not only survive but thrive during tough times.
Being independent means knowing when to ask for help.
Being independent means using meaningful ways o help others.
Being independent means being committed to self-development for conscious growth.
Being independent means success-oriented.
Being independent means understanding that true happiness comes from within and it is always self-created.
Being independent means being free.
Being independent means being your authentic self.
1. Take Responsibility For Your Life
Life spares no one hardship, pain and struggle. We are all fighting our inner battle. We all struggle. We all have our inner demons. And believe it or not but most of us experience pretty much the same stuff during our lifetime. Sounds crazy but here are some life experiences that everyone ‘must-have’ like experiencing heartbreak, having a disease, losing someone we love, having a life-threatening experience or realizing that our lives are completely out of control… and now we can add “The ongoing pandemic of coronavirus disease” to our list. Well, that’s a lot to deal with.
“Life is like a business, 20% of what happens to you is 80% of how you react.” Furthermore, you can use this 20% of things that happen to you to your advantage or disadvantage. It’s your choice. “The fact is: You are not a manager of the circumstance, you’re the architect of your life’s experience.” So when things don’t go as expected, don’t just accept your fate. Do something about it. Don’t be a passive observer of your own life. Don’t wait for things o happen to you. Instead, face your fear, take responsibility for your life and use these less-than-perfect circumstances to your advantage. You are stronger than THIS!
- Learn to take better life decisions
- Ask yourself STRATEGIC questions NOT convenient ones.
- Clarify your values
- Write down your current top 5 priorities
- Create a list of your long-term and short-term goals
- Create a vision board for your future
- Practice being present
2. Boost Your Immune System
A healthy, balanced diet does play an important role in preventing various diseases. No doubt about that. However, getting all the vitamins and minerals our bodies need from food became quite difficult in recent years. That’s why adding nutritional supplements to your diet especially during flu season might be quite a good idea. I’ve been at it for 3 years, and I hardly ever get a cold.
A strong immune system is one of your best defences against diseases. And if you’re interested in boosting your immune system or correct nutrient deficiencies I highly recommend you to try supplements manufactured by Global Healing Center. There are at least 3 main reasons why this company is one of the best on the market.
First, Global Healing Center, located in Houston, TX, United States, produces and sells nutritional supplements that are made from organic and wildcrafted ingredients. Second, it is a company that uses ONLY environmentally friendly and chemical-free building materials. And third, I myself use their vitamins and dietary supplements to improve my overall health. If you are interested in learning more about this company you will find all the information you need here.
Best Immune Boosting Supplements Of 2020
- Vitamin C – Plant-Based Vitamin C here
- Vitamin D3 – Organic Vegan Vitamin D3 here
- Selenium – Vegan Selenium Made From Organic Mustard Seed here
- Ginseng – Powerful Herbal Adaptogens for Energy Support here
- Oregano Oil – Organic Oregano Oil Blend for Immune System Support & Defense here
- Vitamin B12 – Natural Energy Boost in an Organic Vegan Formula here
- Turmeric – Organic Turmeric + Black Pepper Raw Herbal Extract here
- Omega 3 – Nordic Naturals Omega Focus Cognitive Support here
3. Embrace Frugality
If you want to be more self-reliant you need to be more financially stable. And what’s a better way to achieve this than by embracing frugality? Because if you become a prudent spender, you will automatically save money for the future instead of overspending right now.
Many people think that being frugal is about giving up on everything they love and converting in penny-pinching skinflint. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Living a frugal life means being intentional with your money, making smart financial decisions and saving for the future.
So if you thought that you living a frugal life means not spending money at all that’s a huge misconception. It’s more about practical minimalism, embracing quality over quantity and creating the foundation for financial stability. It’s about setting yourself for a successful future.
My advice to you:
Save money whenever and wherever you can and put it into your savings account. Save today and invest tomorrow. Invest in a financially stable future for your family and yourself.
Best Posts On Frugal Lifestyle
4. Increase Your Financial Literacy
Benjamin Franklin once observed, “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.”
Well, it is hard to disagree with that.
Knowledge is power. Knowledge gives you the opportunity to depend on yourself, make wise decisions, solve problems, advance in your career and achieve your life goals. While lack of knowledge makes you completely dependent on others. And that’s extremely risky especially in terms of money. Believe me or not, but you really don’t want to rely too much on others to take care of your money.
Financial literacy is one of the most important skills and yet is not taught in school. Some of us are lucky to have financially literate parents, others need to learn everything by themselves. Fortunately, we live in an Informational Era which means that there are plenty of resources available to gain financial knowledge. If you have an interest in improving your financial situation I create an eBook “A simple plan for your financial freedom” and a Financial Planner Kit you can find here.
Financial eBook + Financial Planner On Sale
Best Books On Personal Finance
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Rich Dad’s CASHFLOW Quadrant: Rich Dad’s Guide to Financial Freedom by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- The Richest Man in Babylon Paperback by George S. Clason
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing by Mel Lindauer
- The intelligent investor by Brando Graham
- Think and Grow Rich: The Landmark Bestseller Now Revised and Updated for the 21st Century by Napoleon Hill
- Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz
- Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money by Vicki Robin
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero
- The Total Money Makeover Workbook by Dave Ramsey
- The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich by Tim Ferriss
- The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America’s Wealthy by Thomas J. Stanley
- I Will Teach You to Be Rich, Second Edition: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works by Ramit Sethi
- The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey
- Start Your Own Corporation: Why the Rich Own Their Own Companies and Everyone Else Works for Them by Garrett Sutton
Best Financial Apps Of 2020
- Qapital here – Banking designed with your goals in mind
- Wally here – professional expense report app
- Mint here – saving and budgeting app
- Digit here – saving app
- Every Dollar here – budget tool and expense tracker
- Acorns here – saving and budgeting app
- You Need a Budget here – create a budget within your actual income
- Prism Bills&Money here – organizing and paying bills app
- Bill Watch here – managing, organizing and reminding bills payment app
- Albert here – saving, budgeting and paying a debt app
- Tycoon here – Freelancers app
- Personal Capital here – investment optimization app
- PocketGuard here – extra money spending app here – categorizes and organizes your expenses, monthly bills, and subscriptions
5. Diversify Your Income Sources
Most of us are encouraged by our parents, friends, teachers or even completely random people to follow the traditional career path. So we study hard to get a degree and then after graduation from University, we search for stable career opportunities. And once we find a stable job we feel like a lottery winner.
The problem with this “traditional path” is that we’re not living in the 80s anymore and we should not rely on one source on income because it’s just too risky. Not to mention that an ongoing pandemic is permanently changing the economy and reshaping the labour market in a manner we have never seen before. For this reason, it is crucial to focus on improving the professional qualifications, developing new skills, being more flexible in how and when to work and of course, creating and maintaining multiple sources of income.
With this approach, you will not only increase your job security in a flexible labor market but also you will maximize your individual career potential. Not to mention that multiple sources of income will help you to build long-lasting wealth and increase your own chances of success both personally, and professionally.
Before we go further, I will just add, that on average, the number of income streams of millionaires is 7. Seven!
These streams of income are: Earned Income, Profit Income, Interest Income, Dividend Income, Rental Income, Capital Gains, Royalty Income.
And you know what? Instead of being jealous of someone else’s success, we should learn from successful people.
Best Posts On Regaining Control
- How to Make Better Decisions: 9 Simple Steps
- 8 Lists That You Need To Create To Reinvent Yourself & Level Up Your Life.
- Finding Peace In An Anxious World: 8 Ways To Deal With Anxiety During Tough Times
- Staying Sane During The Pandemic: 10 Self-Care Ideas To Thrive During Challenging Times.
- Attention Is Our New Currency. Let’s Exchange It Wisely.
- Too Much On Your Plate? This Simple Method Will Help You To Simplify And Prioritize Your Life.
- How To Navigate Massive Life Change Like A Badass: 5-Step Process Of Going After The Life You Want During Uncertain Times.
- From Chaotic Environment To Successful Life – Hit The Reset Button, Change Your Entire Life And Reinvent Yourself.
- How To Deal With Fear Successfully: 6 Steps
- 7 Powerful Mindset Shifts That Will Make You Successful
6. Train Your Brain Muscle
Everything starts in your head. Being pessimistic, obsessing over worst-case scenarios and fueling negative self-talk it’s kind of easy especially when things don’t go according to plan and everything seems to be falling apart. At the same time staying positive, not looking for excuses and finding opportunity in difficult times seems to be a real challenge that only the bravest can take.
But is this really that hard to build strong mental health? Is positive mental attitude innate or can it be acquired? Can we train our brains like any other muscle? If you ask me, not only do I believe that building strong mental health is quite simple, I also think that a positive mental attitude is a skill that requires training and practice. Oh, um, gosh, I almost forgot about the third questions! Of course, I think that the brain is like a muscle. So if you want to grow that muscle and make it stronger you should train it every single day.
And to help you with that, I wrote a post about training your brain muscle that you can read here. Prepare yourself for 30-day mental wellness challenge that will help you to build resilience, boost mood and improve your mental health.
7. Learn To Use Tools
My dad was able to fix everything, literally everything from a broken car to a computer that wouldn’t turn on. I am not even kidding. And it was way before the Internet was invented. Yeah, I know it’s really hard to imagine a life without the internet especially for today’s teenagers. This world existed before the internet and people had a pretty interesting life. And I can assure you that my dad wasn’t the only one who before even thinking about getting rid of things that no longer worked tried to fix them.
Times were different and human behaviour patterns were different. There was less materialism and people were more resourceful. Of course, that wasn’t by choice, but by necessity. The world before the internet was different. Economic prosperity made us forget how important, practical and useful resourcefulness, self-sufficiency and minimalism really is. But with the coronavirus outbreak, now pandemic everything changed. Because 2020 has taught us something is that being resourceful and self-sufficient are not only useful skills but real superpowers! People started to fix, improve or replacing things by themselves not only to save money but also to make time spent at home much more exciting.
We tend to throw away things that can be easily repaired without even trying to fix them. Not to mention the most common home repairs that you can easily do on your own.
Of course, I’m not suggesting you do electrical repair, major basement renovation or fix gas appliances by yourself because that could be dangerous unless you really know what you’re doing. Because let’s be honest some repairs should only ever be handled by qualified experts.
However, there are a lot of things you can fix yourself such as fixing a patchy lawn, unclogging clogged drains (I did it yesterday!), repairing a noisy outdoor faucet, patching a hole in the wall, replacing the engine air filter or even change a car’s oil.
So next time when something needs to be repaired before calling for an expert, google it and find out if you can fix it on your own. Trust me, fixing something yourself is a wonderful feeling! It’s time to become handy!
8. Try Natural Remedies
Have you ever tried natural remedies instead of immediately reaching for pills every time you have problems falling asleep, a slight headache or a digestive issue? I have and it worked. But don’t get me wrong. I’m not encouraging you to go against conventional medicine, throw all the prescribed meds in the trash and start using herbs and spices for every single health issue because that would be very irresponsible and could cause more harm than good.
What I am trying to say is that we tend to forget about complementary and alternative medicine based on natural remedies and a holistic approach to health which just a few decades ago was well-known, widely used and surely not demonized. While today we reach for meds so easily without even considering potential side-effects.
We search for “quick fix” without looking at our health holistically and that’s why we’re not getting better. It’s like putting a Band-Aid on an infected wound. You don’t see the infection but it’s still there and it won’t magically disappear only because you want it.
Having said that I want to encourage you to make your own research, learn about different options like animal therapy, herbal treatment, acupuncture, naturopathy, Chinese or Oriental medicine and of course different diets. Your body is your temple and you should treat it that way!
Herbs and Essential Oils Super Bundle 2020
Best Resources Of This Bundle
- Medicinal Herbs Materia Medica Starter Pack (eBook) by Kristi Stone
This starter pack will keep you on the right track for creating your own materia medica, a place to keep your valuable herbal knowledge for years to come!
- Simple Remedies for Cold and Flu Season (eBook) by Angi Schneider – Prepare healthy remedies for your family using common kitchen herbs and essential oils.
- Traditional Mexican Herbal Remedies (eBook) by Camille Flores
In this little herbal gem, you’ll learn about 20 commonly used natural remedies, from squash, cultivated since 7000 BC, to lavender, brought by the Spaniards in the 1500s.
- Happy & Healthy Holidays: The Ultimate Guide to Using Essential Oils for Health, Home, & Hosting (eBook) by Pamela James
Learn how to minimize holiday stress and anxiety by using essential oils along with other natural solutions to support a healthy mind, body, spirit.
Quick Facts About This Bundle
- Price: $37
- Value: 35 products worth $684.36
- Contents: 17 ebooks, 12 courses, 6 printables & workbooks
Posts You Might Want To Read
- How To Create A Simple Self-Care Routine That Will Make You Thrive + Free Printables & Checklists!
- Natural and Non-Toxic Personal Care Products To Indulge Yourself With For The Ultimate Self-Care Ritual.
- 7 Steps to Detox Your Mental Wellbeing. – Cleanse Your Mind for a More Positive Life
- Everything Starts In Your Head – 12 Healthy Rules For a Strong Mental Health.
9. DIY Like A Pro
What connects all highly independent people? Well, they love DIY-ing things! Why? Because It’s fun, creative, thought-provoking and money-saving!
Being completely honest with you, I love DIY-ing gifts, natural beauty products and home decor. This is my idea of a good time. Not to mention that my inner child is extremely happy and excited when I engage myself in some creative activities.
So as you can see DIY can not only save you a lot of money but also improve your wellbeing and life satisfaction. It’s time to bring out your inner artist (or creative beast) and create some unique piece of art! Need some inspiration? Go on Pinterest or on Youtube and see how fun DIY-ing really is!
- DIY natural & organic personal care products
- DIY natural and non-toxic cleaning products
10. Grow Your Food
There is nothing more delicious than preparing your meals and snacks with fresh herbs, veggies and fruits. And if you use fresh ingredients that you have grown yourself the whole experience become even more satisfying and tasty. Not to mention that you have full control over homegrown food. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of the fresh ingredients that we buy in a grocery shop.
Many people think that they need a large garden to grow their own food but that’s simply not true. Given that herbs, mushrooms and some veggies don’t absorb energy from sunlight directly you can grow them indoors. How amazing is that?
Just imagine the taste and flavor of creamy mushroom soup, Caprese sandwich or pickled hot peppers with homegrown ingredients. I bet that the thought of it makes you salivate.
For those who still hesitate whether to start or not growing their food I just wanted to add that gardening it’s very trendy right now! Just look at the number of books, Youtube channels and blogs on how to homegrown food.
Grab Your Free Printable Workbook
Become more self-sufficient
4 thoughts on “How To Be Self-Sufficient: 10 Simple Ways To Be More Independent.”
The depth of the article is commendable. You’ve covered the topic very well and the introduction defining self independence is thorough. Thank you for the educating post and important reminders
Thank you so much for your kind words, Kevin. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this post and comment on it! My main focus is to deliver valuable content for others because I truly believe in the value of sharing and exchanging knowledge. Being completely honest with you, I learn more from the internet than I ever have from school. It’s incredible how much we can learn from each other. Thanks again. Have a wonderful weekend. Take care!😊🤗
J resonate with you on how much one can learn from others and taking advantage of this technological age through constructive growth.
Keep doing what you are doing, creating value and offering value. Welcome and glad to. Have a great weekend 😊🤗
THANK You, Kevin!! Have a wonderful, relaxing and peaceful weekend!! 😊🤗